Designed at the turn of the last century by noted architect Ernest Mayo and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, The Woman’s Club of Evanston is the “grand dame” of the city. In February 1910, under the supervision of member Mrs. Avis Grant, a building committee was organized to oversee the construction of a new Clubhouse. In January, 1911, a lot at the corner of Church Street and Chicago Avenue was purchased. The completed Clubhouse was unveiled in an open gala reception on March 11, 1913. To date, this same building serves as the meeting place and headquarters to the still active membership organization!
The Clubhouse’s interior, updated in 2021, exudes warmth and timeless elegance. Its classic architecture includes a black and white marble entrance hall and double staircase leading to the dramatic arched ceiling of the Grand Ballroom- a perfect place for dinner and dancing! On the first floor, the intimate Tea Room with sparkling chandeliers and white columns flows into the recently renovated Music Room and Sun Room providing the ideal setting for cocktails, hors d’oeuvres and receptions.
Since its founding in the late 1800s, the Woman’s Club of Evanston has promoted the advancement of public health. The Club’s first major project was to establish a hospital in Evanston. A series of epidemics including typhoid fever and smallpox in the 1880s prompted the raising of $3,600 towards the creation of the Evanston Hospital. During World War I, the Club entertained servicemen, sponsored Red Cross knitting and sewing groups and provided an ambulance for the Red Cross in France. After the war, their food conservation efforts were converted into support for the opening of a community kitchen.
The WCE currently has over 350 members, and is active in volunteer work, community mobilization, and social bonding. Today, our mission statement is phrased as: “Connecting women behind a shared purpose of volunteerism, social empowerment and community support.” In addition to its role as the meeting point for the members, the Clubhouse is an unforgettable setting for events that you will always remember! Please contact our Venue Manager for more information and to schedule a tour.
We look forward to welcoming you to our historic home!